Sleep Apnea Pillow
Sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. You may have sleep apnea if you snore loudly and you feel tired even after a full night’s sleep.
Sleep apnea is characterized by loud snoring (but all those who snore may not have sleep apnea), abrupt awakenings in the night accompanied by shortness of breath & dry mouth, drowsiness during the daytime (as sleep at night is disturbed).
People who are at risk of having sleep apnea include those who:
• Are overweight or obese
• Have neck circumference of greater than 17 inches (males) and 15 inches (females)
• Have High blood pressure, Diabetes, Heart disorders
• Have a narrow airway
• Have a family history of sleep apnea
• Are on high altitudes
Treatment for sleep apnea includes the following:
• Use of decongestants (prescribed by the Physician)
• Nasal continuous positive airway pressure (if prescribed by the Physician)
• Surgery for any physical airway abnormality or
Alternative treatment includes:
• Weight loss
• Avoiding Alcohol
• Avoiding sleeping pills, sedatives
• Avoiding sleeping on the back (sleep on your sides) use snore pillows
• Elevating the head of the bed slightly, can be easily done using a specially designed sleep apnea pillow.