Top 5 Reasons which causes snoring in adults
Snorers often spend hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars on all kinds of snoring products. Unfortunately, many of them are not aware that the most common reason for snoring is lifestyle-based. Sometimes, all it takes to eliminate snoring is to make some lifestyle changes which, in many cases, might even save them money.
Here are some examples of bad habits which can cause snoring and what can you do about them:
- Smoking – can lead to an airway obstruction which can cause a person to snore. The treatment is simple – stop smoking.
- Alcohol – drinking alcohol leads to the over-relaxation of the throat muscles resulting in snoring. It has been proven that most alcoholics have a snoring problem. Alcohol is a depressant that causes the muscles to unwind and relax, sometimes too much. Although alcohol can lead to serious snoring problems, the treatment is quite simple – refrain from drinking it. If you think you cannot cope with the absence of alcohol in your life, maybe you should consider getting professional help.
- Drugs – drug abuse, sleeping pills, and other tranquilizing drugs often cause snoring. There are many drugs which have various tranquilizing properties. These tranquilizing effects lead to the over-relaxation of the muscle tissue in the throat which results in snoring. You should avoid any use of drugs and in case you are using sleeping pills, consult your doctor about alternatives.
- Obesity – being overweight causes excess tissue to form in the throat area. When a person starts gaining weight, some of the fat building up in the body accumulates in the throat area which narrows the airways and increases the chance for snoring. It might be a good idea to go on a diet and start exercising.
- Nasal congestion – people with stuffed noses are more likely to snore because they breathe through their mouths instead of their noses. If this is your case, you should treat your nasal congestion by using various methods such as nasal sprays, nasal strips, or steam machines.